Email users worldwide will send and receive upward of 281 billion emails per day in 2018 – a figure expected to hit 333 billion per day in the next five years. With an ever growing array of social media communications technologies cropping up from all directions you may be thinking the old fashioned sales email has gone the way of the dinosaur. Not by a long shot. In fact, email remains the most pervasive form of communication today, according to a recent report by the Radicati Group, a California-based international technology market research firm.
Email is here to stay and remains a stalwart sales and marketing tactic In fact, according to Convince and Convert, a Bloomington, IN-based online marketing consulting firm, 44 percent of email recipients made at least one purchase last year based on a promotional email. Further, those who buy products marketed through email spend an average 138 percent more than people that do not receive email offers.
To that end, Apex HCM offers these five top tips to help improve your success in using email to generate new customers for your payroll software and services:
- Master the subject line: Studies show that 33 percent of email recipients open emails based solely on the subject line. Think of it as the gatekeeper that can grant or deny your sales team access to a prospective client. To reach those potential buyers, keep your subject line short but enticing. Note that lines of more than three words have an average email open rate of less than 15 percent, but using the word “new” can boost open rates by 23 percent. And since 69 percent of email recipients report email as spam based on the subject line alone, you’ll want to avoid “spammy” words such as “final”, “complimentary”, “unique” and “exciting.”
- Personalize it: Nix the “To whom it may concern” or “Dear sir.” According to the Aberdeen Group, a B2B market intelligence company, personalized emails improve click-through rates by 14 percent and conversion rates by 10 percent.
- Get straight to the point: Keep the body of your email short, simple and to the point. Ask your prospective buyer a single question and ask for no more than a 15- to 20-minute phone call or visit to hear about a single solution. If the conversation goes well, that potential new client won’t kick you off the phone or out of their office when you hit the 20-minute mark. And if your prospect decides that your offer isn’t a good fit, you’ll have minimized your investment.
- Mobilize it: Another reason to keep it short? Studies show 40 percent of emails are opened on mobile first. The average mobile screen can fit only four to seven words in the subject line and a lengthy email can quickly feel like too much scrolling. Minimize graphics as well and include a simple, easy-click link to any targeted webpage.
- Time it right: Multiple studies and surveys show that the most effective times to email prospects is between 8 am and 10 am, or 3 pm and 4 pm. Early morning emails may get pushed down the list before your prospect clocks in; mid-day emails compete with lunchtime; and by after 4 pm, your prospect likely is wrapping up his or her workday.
To boost your payroll software and service business, Apex HCM offers a full range of customizable payroll software and HCM cloud solutions developed specifically for payroll, human resources and time and attendance functions. Call 877-750-2739 or request a demo online, here.